An (*) asterisk denotes an affiliate link. See my full disclosure policy here.
Hello friend! There are many health and beauty aids to be found in the kitchen. Like the apple cider vinegar I did a post on the other week (you can read that post here) to the spices in your cabinet that have been used for thousands of years in health and beauty. If you only look you shall find health benefits everywhere. Take cinnamon* for instance. Did you know it was once so expensive it was considered more precious than gold. A fitting gift for any king or even a god. In modern days it’s a far cry from gold status, but still sought after. It can ease the symptoms of a cold as well as help give you a “tan”? Read on to find out more about this wonder powder!
15 Beauty and Health Uses for Cinnamon-
- Make a facial scrub to reveal soft and radiant skin. Combine 1 tsp. cinnamon, 1 tbs. brown sugar and 1 tbs. olive oil in a small jar. Apply a thin layer and let sit for about 10 minutes. Before rinsing, gently scrub face with finger tips in small circles. That combined with the cinnamon increases circulation for a healthy glow.
- A spring cold got you down? Add a teaspoon of cinnamon to a hot cup of decaf green tea a few times a day. The powerful antioxidants in both will kick that cold’s butt in no time!
- Get energized in the morning by a sprinkle on your toast with sliced apple and nut butter or in your morning coffee or tea. The scent will enhance focus while the plant compounds in the spice prevent blood-sugar swings.
- Freshen Fido’s breath naturally. This calls for a specific type of cinnamon that’s non-toxic to dogs, Ceylon cinnamon*. It’s a sweet variety available at most grocery and health food stores. Sprinkle, 1/8 tsp for small dogs and 1/2 tsp for large dogs, onto the food. The antibacterial properties work to eliminate the germs that cause the stink. Their breath stay’s fresh for hours. This works!! I have two dogs that can attest to that. Yes, they tell me their breath is fresh. 😉
- Make a lip scrub for plump lips. Mix 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tbs brown sugar and 1 tbs solid coconut oil. Rub gently into lips for a minute. Wipe with warm cloth. Lips should feel and look softer, fuller, plumper. Albeit temporary.
- Try a lip balm with cinnamon in it to keep lips plumped all day. You can check out my Cinnamon-Honey Lip Balm here On a note, you’re not going to look like you got Botox. What the cinnamon does is stimulate the circulation to give a plumping effect.
- Fight off athlete’s foot. Soak feet in 2 ltr of warm water with 2 tsp of cinnamon mixed in. Repeat daily until infection is gone. The anti-fungal properties will kill the infection.
- Nix the fungus on your indoor plants, too! Scoop away the moldy soil, put some fresh soil on top then sprinkle with cinnamon. The spice is a natural fungicide and will kill any remaining mold without harming your plants.
- Treat acne without all the harsh, drying chemicals. The moisturizing effect from the honey with the antimicrobial actions to unclog your pores leave your skin clear, soft and hydrated. Mix 1 tsp cinnamon with 1 tbs raw, unfiltered honey. Apply to affected area, leave on for 15 minutes. Rinse with warm water.
- Get a “tan” without the sun! Mix cinnamon with corn starch until you reach your desired shade for either a tan look or go lighter for a blush.
- Use as an air freshener. Add 1 Tbs of cinnamon to 2 cups boiling water. The aroma of cinnamon will immediately begin to spread throughout the home.
- Cinnamon is anti-inflammatory. To ease arthritis add 1 tsp cinnamon and 1 Tbs raw, unfiltered honey to a cup of hot water. Drink this in the morning and at night to relieve pain.
- Use as an earache remedy. Warm 1/2 cup olive oil with 1 Tbs cinnamon for 5 minutes. Strain using a coffee filter. Place two drops in your ear twice a day. The phytochemicals kill the infection causing bacteria while the olive oil calms the inflammation.
- Get rid of carpet odor for a fraction of the cost of buying carpet deodorizer. To 1 cup of baking soda, add 1 Tbs cinnamon and mix well. Sprinkle on rug and let sit for 5 minute, then vacuum. The baking soda neutralizes any odors and the cinnamon leave a nice scent.
- Cinnamon and honey work well together to get rid of indigestion. Take 1-2 Tbs cinnamon, 1 tsp honey into one glass warm water. Drink daily to ease stomach problems.
Hope you found these uses as helpful as I have. Do you have a use for cinnamon that’s not listed? Let me know in the comment section so I can add it to my list! Till next time!